Friday, February 18, 2011

ABC Gum

Someone looked at me today and said, "You're getting the leftovers of the day. Actually, it's Friday, so you're getting the leftovers of the week." For real! I could not have made this up. I felt like they had just handed me an already chewed piece of gum and called it a birthday present.

My guess was this person was running on empty. Lord knows, I've been there. We all have. The difference was this person said it, but the truth is we can always feel it when we get people's dredges.

Being full isn't just about us. We are not the only ones who benefit. When we're full and spill out onto others, they leave feeling valued and better. I started thinking on the way home, "I never want anyone to feel like they're getting my leftovers. I don't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and give them the gunk that's there."

So, I came home, and I canceled some plans. I said no to this evenings activities in order to say to being filled, in order to say yes to more meaningful interactions with that person later on, to say you're worth the good stuff at the top.

See, I'm learning. It's slow and steady, and comes with a fair amount of whining, but I'm learning.

1 comment: