Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little House in the Big Snow

I'm feeling a little Laura Ingals Wilder these days with all the snow that's around my house. It's sort of ridiculous. There's a good six inches of snow in any direction, and it's not going anywhere. I do love an ill gotten day of leisure, but the truth is I'm getting restless, and my kids and I have way too much to cover before March.

It's sad that I can feel restless after two days. I have an endless amount of entertainment. I have the whole of the internet to explore. I have like a million channels on my TV - plus lots of episodes of Glee, The Sing Off, and The Big Bang Theory dvr'd. I have tons of DVDs. With my Nook, I have an endless supply of books at my disposal. My house could totally use a once over. All this to say, I'm still a little bored.

Yesterday was better because Cheryl was home, and there was someone to play with. Sadly, sickness never takes a snow day, and as a nurse, she had to go into to work despite Snowmagedon 2011. We took down the Christmas decorations yesterday(do not judge me). We watched movies. We trudged in the snow. Today, however, I am alone which makes it so much worse.

Instead of being productive, I've chosen to perseverate on the seemingly endless line of changes that stretch before me. I don't like change. In the great words of Sheldon Cooper, "Change is never fine. They say it is, but it's not." The funny thing is that they're not really my own changes. My life is pretty much staying the same, but because people around me are making changes I'm feeling it.

It's like the Leaning Tower Pisa, and I'm the person standing there saying "Guys, this just doesn't seem right. Maybe we should scoot it a little to the left." While everyone else replies, "Oh, it's fine. You're not the one who has to live in it." Which is totally true. I don't have to live with the actual change. I just have to look at the tower a lot.

The changes aren't bad. In fact, on a whole they are absolutely fantastic steps into the future, but for someone who is kind of afraid of the future, they seem beyond momentous. It's scary. It will probably be exciting. And in the words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Now, on to things that I intend to do this afternoon.

1) Clean my room. I feel 11 when I say this, but it's true. It totally needs a good cleaning.

2) Clean up the kitchen. One of Cheryl's work friends might spend a few days at my house because his house is so far away, and he still has to get to work. I'd like to at least given the appearance that I don't live in filth.

3) Organize the office. Although, the ironic thing is that I bought cute little file holders in order accomplish this task. They are, however, in the trunk of my car which is outside, in the cold, and covered with snow. I may or may not venture out to get them. I really DON'T like being cold. I may dislike it more than change. ; )

4) Finish reading Exodus. I thought Exodus was going to be easy, but it hasn't. Just goes to show you that God is a marvelous mystery, and I am foolish to think that I can understand Him. I like that about Him. He's always the same, but then they're always something new. It's like when you go back and watch a favorite movie, and you've forgotten a scene. It was always there, but it's somehow surprising.

5) Figure out what the future holds for me. Will I have to move into the leaning tower or continue to stand around asking people to nudge it back into place for me? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment