Friday, March 26, 2010

You only need one . . . if he's the right one.

Books and movies based on books have completely ruined me for real men. It's sort of ridiculous the expectations I have. I want a man who is serious but funny, strong yet gentle, wise but still playful, manly while being sensitive. It's a lot to ask especially considering I am not one of those things. Well, maybe I'm sensitive, but I sometimes let those sensibilities get away from me.

I say all this because I have just watched the new BBC version of Sense and Sensibility. It was everything I could hope for in a romance. Plenty of swooning which led to plenty of being carried away like a damsel in distress. There was a duel, a man chopping wood in the rain, a secret engagement, several broken hearts, and of course, a happy ending.

I realize that books and movies are merely fancy. I get that real relationships are messy and require a good bit of work, but the truth is that at almost 26, I still haven't let these dreams go. A few posts ago, I mentioned that fact that I'm a commitment phob. I think it's because I'm always thinking that my own Austen-esque hero is lurking around the corner waiting to catch me if I swoon.

Is it silly? Of course, but I still love it. I love the thought of these types of heros who are good and strong. I like chivalry. I would LOVE for someone to fight a duel for me. In the end I wouldn't want him to kill anyone, though. He'd be too good for that. I would really love a man who wore a cravat. Face it ladies, cravats are hott!

My thought is that if I haven't meet a man who makes me want to give up these dreams, then I haven't found the right man yet. So, I'm going to hold on to my silly daydreams. I will continue to watch and read Pride and Prejudice (the Colin Firth version to be exact). I'll religiously watch Masterpiece Theater, and resign myself to the fact that cravats have gotten out of fashion. But I'll keep waiting for the one, and maybe if he's the right one, he'll even show up on horseback.

No comments:

Post a Comment