Friday, March 12, 2010

Cluttered

Romie and I have been on a MAJOR spring cleaning kick. I think it's partly because we are willing spring to stay for good and partly because we own a lot of crap. It's sort of insane how much two single people can accumulate, but accumulate we do. I cleaned out my closet for the second time in two weeks today. The first time I let go of things I knew I didn't use, but today I got serious and got rid of things that I held onto because I might use them.

I manned up today and faced the fact that I'll probably never use them, and that maybe someone else would. They'll go to a nice new home, and I'll have much more closet space - which I will NOT fill with more crap.

Anybody buy that? I didn't think so as I I don't really buy it myself. Oh well, a girl can have decluttered dreams.

However, all this purging has got me thinking. I feel like things are constantly rumbling around in my head. I don't know if you're anything like me, but my mind never seems to shut up. It's never just quiet and still. This is a blessing and curse because while I'm never bored, I'm also never completely rested.

In my thinking, I thought about the verse in Romans (Romans 12:2 to be exact) that talks about being transformed by the renewing of your mind. If I don't stop and kick out the random, useless, worrisome, and just plain silly stuff that rolls around in my head, can I really have a renewed mind? If I don't have a renewed mind, can I be completely transformed?

The truth is I don't think I can. The truth is also that I have no idea how to quiet the chaos that rolls around in head. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. You should try some simple yoga. It did amazing things for me. Not just the stretching, but the complete calm that it puts you in. You have to really think about the stretches so you don't topple over and that pushed everything else out of my mind.

    PS avoid downward facing dog. It's evil.

    ReplyDelete